Situated across the street from the Old Lighthouse, with a magnificent view of the sea, the entire ensemble of buildings, including the Lighthouse, is known as “Stella Maris.”
Stella Maris’ name, which means “star of the sea,” comes not from the beautiful Mediterranean view of Mount Carmel, but from an ancient epithet for Mary, the mother of Jesus.
The Stella Maris church is a beautiful structure, with Italian marble so brightly and vividly patterned that visitors sometimes think the walls have been painted.
Colorful paintings on the dome, done by Brother Luigi Poggi (1924-28), depict episodes from the Old Testament, the most dramatic being the scene of Elijah swept up in a chariot of fire. The statue of the Virgin Mary, carved from cedar of Lebanon, is also notable.
The church is open all week, free admission.
Hours 08:30 to 12:00, 15:00 -18: 00: Bus: No. – 115, A 30, 31,99.